Monday, January 14, 2008

Upper Midwest!

sweet Jesus it is cold in Minnesota. (presently +5)
my apologies for not keeping up. I have had a student with me these last two weeks.
after returning from Xmas the first load was up to new York followed quickly by a beer load from Baldwinsville
(near Syracuse) to Albuquerque. the load was destined for Ontario, California (in the Eastern end of the LA metro known rather grandiosly as "the inland empire" but they wanted me to split it in ABQ but then no they wanted me to take it to Ontario but then no split it in Phoenix, and so that's what I did, stranded there for new years but enjoying a nice warm dry bikeride to the mall and some Thai food that made a mess of my panniers on the ride back. Then a student assignment. (I had told them I did not want any students but they did not care.) I was going to complain but saw that this guy was two thirds of the way through his training and therefore probably easy money. Turns out he was a nice enough guy too. Black and from Germany. The freight however has been sucking, even so we went from Phoenix to Vegas to SLC to Oregon to LA to Phoenix again (a real shithole where we saw a rollover accident happen. Thank god the girl in the SUV was fine.) then they had us deadhead over 800 miles to Ft. Collins Colorado to pick up some beer that we took to Omaha ad swapped that load with a driver who had a truckload of Cheerios destined for Cedar Rapids, Iowa and now up to Howard Lake, Minnesota to pick up something headed to Bolingbrook, Illinois near Chicago and BALLS is it COLD.

No comments: