Saturday, July 26, 2008

Closeout

So I woke up in the morning and untarped my load and helped some other drivers untarp their loads and when I was empty I sent a message saying I was so and another saying that, even though i was in Dallas, I intended to work for another week until the quit date I had specified a week earlier (giving the customary, though in the trucking world somewhat unheard of, two weeks notice.)
A few minutes later the Quallcomm beeped and the message said:
"Mark, unfortunately we have to accept your resignation now since we don't have a lot of freight booked into texas right now and probably couldn't get you back by next week. Besides we need your truck in Sunnyvale [at the terminal for new hires finishing orientation.] Go back to the terminal and check in with Daniel. OK?"

This was a bad note to end on. I had planned two weeks because it would take me right up to the time that I am to head to Minnesota to cater a wedding and the money would tide me over. Now I would have a gap and not enough money to buy all the brick for the oven. What a pain in the ass.

I headed back to sunnyvale, packed up the truck, got thoroughly sweat, handed my keys in and left.

Back to the eastern shore, back home, back to real life, I hope.

No comments: