Sunday, October 26, 2008

Olyphant to Maine with Digis

I was sent up to Olyphant, Pennsylvania to pick up a trailer and move a truck. The driver who had picked up this load, as he was ready to depart, required the services of an ambulance and hospital. i found out later from the folks in shipping that he was complaining of chest pains. His truck, which I had taken a key for in order to move it was dusted like a fine snow with cigarette ash.
When I asked the shipping clerk what it was that was in this trailer He said "Scrap digis." in response to my quizical look he added "scrap plastic." Whatever.
I took these up to Biddeford, Maine to a tiny little factory tucked in the northern pines. Inside I found a nice young guy willing to give me a tour of what they do at Sagoma technologies.

What I had been carrying were empty unused "Digipacks" those things that hold the discs in a set of dvds, long pieces of cardboard with cd trays glued to them that can be folded up onto themselves. They were from a live aid set (like this picture) that must have been overprinted or discontinued.
What they do in maine is separate the trays from the cardboard and send the cardboard off somewhere to be recycled. Meanwhile they melt down the plastic and make new cd/dvd trays in various styles including new digipaks. When I was there they were assembling the trays for the third season of Weeds.
Once I was empty I headed over to a small gas station where I parked and headed across the street to a shaw's to get some comestibles. While there I saw this alluring sign:

mmmm.
I sat for a bit longer before being sent up the road 12 miles to Scarborough to pick up pallets headed to South Holland (near Chicago) Illinois.

1 comment:

John said...

Mark, I'm glad to have found your blogs. You're writing style perfectly suits your personality. I look forward to reading more in the future...