Thursday, August 23, 2007

Allentown, Day Two

If I thought yesterday was dull.
Today after the early morning van ride in which our driver repeated the same schpeel (adding that near the Target there was an Applebee's) we entered the classroom and commenced to wait. and wait and wait and wait. Apparently Jason, the little bronxy african-hispanic-american had called in sick but didn't bother doing so until 8am (an hour after we had arrived) this meant that Kathy (the old but young one) had to teach class but apparently it was really her job to go through the applications to ensure that they were all properly filled out. So that is what she did. and did and did and did. until almost 11 am. Meanwhile we sat at the computers continuing on our CBT and then doing the ones that needed to be done by the time we were finished in the truck with the trainer. and then some more after that, just for fun.
Once we started kathy put on the projector and started reading more powerpoint slides in a dull monotone peppered with little overly sarcastic jokes. Jokes that were probably funny but suffered from a bad delivery followed by a forced laughter on her part and comatose silence on ours.
For lunch we had pizza again, such greasy pizza, but it was good.
When finally we resumed we covered map reading (so hard) and then driver pay (by which they really meant driver reimbursement and other things you are going to have to pay for.
Then out were handed out DOT medical cards and drivers badges (a sloppy looking thing i must say) I was finally relieved when I got these papers since it meant I had passed my test. By which I mean the only test I might be worried about passing. Then we also got a pair of canvas work gloves and a cheap flashlight. Oh the benificence.
Again we piled in to the van and drove back two of the younger guys (including my profoudly retarded seat neighbor) talked to each other in fuck peppered speech. such chips on their shoulders, i don't understand.
So here I am back in the hotel and this is, i suppose, where the wait begins.
Here I must remain until i get a phone call saying that I have a been assigned a trainer and they are in the area. If i want to leave I have to sign out at the desk. i don't have an ankle bracelet just yet. As for the rest of the night I suppose I will watch tv, look at wikipedia and eat cool chinese food.

No comments: