Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Background

When I graduated from college in 2004 I moved to Chicago because my friend Matt's parents had moved out of their little brick house in Jefferson Park but had not yet sold it. We could live there, they said, for the cost of utilities.
Once in Chicago I had to find a job and my degree in technical theatre did not qualify me for anything whatsoever.
One day I was miserably scanning the ads of the Tribune and came across a 1/4 page picture ad.

Learn to Drive Trucks!
Get Paid While you Train!
Schneider National
1-800-44-PRIDE!

So nervously I called the number and was scuttled down the path of becoming a trucker and driving for Schneider National, the nations biggest full load Truck Carrier. (Which means that they aren't a LTL (Less than full Load) carrier like UPS or FedEx. A full load carrier picks up a full load from one place or delivers it to one place. These are the bulk of the trucks that you see on the road.)
I drove for them for 8 months before I decided I had something better to do. After 2 years and working as a sculptors assistant, valet, garde manger chef at a seafood restaurant, draftsman, and outdoor educator it turns out i did not have anything better to do. and I have found myself back in the, hem, pro-verbial, em, drivers-seat.

1 comment:

poet~lover~rebel~spy said...

Loving it Mark. Keep writing!