Thursday, March 27, 2008

Baltimore to Boston

Okeedokee,
A quick rundown of the last few weeks so that I will feel caught up and hopefully keep on track from here on out. Seriously.
I left the house quickly. I had been ready for a load for a couple days but nothing was coming through wince it was the weekend. Sunday afternoon I received a call. There was a driver who's clutch had gone out. Could I go over and pick up his load, which had been towed to a lot in Baltimore and take it to Boston? of course I could.
I drove up to Kennedyville and picked up my trailer from where I had dropped it at the lot next to the volunteer fire department. and looped over the top of the bay and down into baltimore.
Baltimore, i am pretty sure, has the shittiest streets of any city in the developed world. but what do you expect, really? So I wind through East Baltimore and eventually find the tow yard, beneath I-95 and the gate is locked. I get out and look aound for someone, looking over my shoulder, feeling like I'm in an episode of "The Wire" (which I have never seen) and then the guy shows up, unlocks the gate, i drop my trailer and
pick up the loaded one, full of rolls of roofing materials, and head out.
I drove through the night, an awful night, midnight in new york city and there is still f-ing traffic across the GW bridge (which costs $40 to cross as a semi, thank god for company paid e-z pass) and then, north of the city i stop at a rest area and get some coffee from the burgerking. The first thing the wide hispanic woman says to me is "No Burgers."
Crawling into Waltham at 3am I park in the lot of the builders supply yard and go to bed. In the morning I drop the first delivery and then drive up to Woburn (ridiculously pronounced Wu-Burn (when I say Wu you say Burn, Wu, Burn, Wu, Burn))
After that delivery I had to take a long break and so I caught the train into somerville and ate too much indian food with some friends. Then I got a cab back to the truck, a freeking expensive cab, but one that went 90mph on I-93.

No comments: