Thursday, March 27, 2008

Trash

A Hill of Garbage in Ohio










I drove down to Stamford, Connecticut and picked up some garbage (Garbage!) which I took to a landfill in Ohio (Ohio!). Why the garbage from an outlying New York suburb needs to be taken 400+ miles over the Appalachian Mountains to Ohio is beyond me. This was perhaps the most depressing load I have ever taken.
The Jamaican lady at the "Transfer Station" in Stamford was irritated with the hispanic guys who loaded the plastic wrapped bales of garbage onto my truck. They did not do their job to her liking.
The landfill, outside of Alliance, Ohio (near Canton) was big, but not bizarrely so. I checked in at the gate and then was told to pull to the side and take off my straps. Then I had to drive up this wet god awful hill of trash (it had rained/was raining and everything was disgusting) and then back up to the spot where they would unload me. It was very muddy. It was a thick and chunky mud, made of water and trash, and was, disgusting, up to the hubs disgusting. The driver of the excavator had to rest his bucket on the back of my truck so I could get enough traction to get up the hill. He then used the excavator to knock the bales of trash off the trailer and a bulldozer pushed them towards the edge, Seagulls swarmed like gnats. The air was foetid.

As I swept the triler off I glanced down at a DanActiv lid and wondered if she ever thought her yogurt lid would end up here.

The Seagulls in Alliance.

No comments: