Friday, June 27, 2008

Oklahoma Storm

After delivering my load of various metal shapes I was sent up to the north side of Dallas to pick up boards of foam insulation.
I had picked up here before. That time it was windy and the strapping and tarping of the load was an absurdly difficult spectacle. This time it was calm and in short order I had the load strapped tarped and ready to go.
I was headed north to Pittsburg, Kansas, a town in the southeast corner in the midst of building a new police station. A new police station that apparently needed insulation.
On US-69 in Oklahoma great storm clouds began to billow and pile on one another and before long the first winds of the storm storm were jostling this high light load around like a boat at sea. Then came the rain pelting sideways and cracks of lightning with stronger gusts. One of these gusts manage to catch the fold in the tarp at the rear of the load and by the time I pulled into the Love's in Eufaula the relentless wind had snapped and shredded the back of the tarp to tatters.
I bought some more bungees in the store and filled up with fuel before setting out to resecure the back of the load as best I could. Being a load that is 13'6" high I had to get out the ladder which, I think you can understand, made me a bit nervous as lightning continued to split the sky around me.
I got it done and continued down the road. The rain had let up almost entirely but the wind had not. Standard Trucking tarps come in two pieces, each has a top and three flaps, two long ones and a short one (for the front of back of the load) When you tarp you put the rear on first and then the front so that the open end of the rear tarp (which faces forward) is covered by the rear facing open end of the front tarp, so as to prevent wind from catching the rear tarp and pulling it clean off the trailer. Somehow in this storm the rear tarp had worked its way slowly backward until at one pointit eeked out from beneath the front tarp just enough to catch the wind which promptly pulled it off the trailer. In so doing it broke every bungee cord (appx 30) except 4 at the rear which held it out like a drag parachute on a fighter jet. I pulled to the side of the road and in the spitting rain and orange light folded the tarp in the grass as little bits of wet grass and seed stuck to my sandled feet. I proceeded to the terminal in Tulsa, the only place where I might be able to get back on top of the load to retarp it, and got a new tarp, more bungees and no grief, which was a relief.
There was some minor damage to the rear of the product where the tarps had flapped violently against the soft foam and, of course, it had been rained on but the guys at the jobsite in Kansas didn't seem to give a shit.

No comments: