Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sunny Florida

Today was a beautiful day, a day that makes you wonder why it was so good, what led up to it, what is it comprised of and what can be done to replicate those parameters so that every day from now on is like this one. And the really weird thing is most of this day happened in Florida.

After delivering a load of Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) to a pool supply store in Birmingham, Alabama. I was sent down to International Paper in Prattville where the rich vegetal-chemical wretch of a pulp mill poured from my nostrils down seemingly to the pit of my stomach and recalled, in proper Proustian fashion, other paper milling regions, Maine, Louisiana, Northern Wisconsin and, fondly, the Pacific Northwest.
6 huge rolls of cardstock were on their way to Harrisburg (wait for it) North Carolina (?) to a place that made packaging.
I was then directed to drop my empty trailer at the operating center in Charlotte and bobtail to Jacksonville, Florida to pick up a different empty trailer. I can not make out the logic of this 366 mile jaunt but it does wonders for my mpg average. (a criteria on which a potential bonus is based.)
I picked up the trailer and deadheaded to Alachua passing through the odd mini ranch land land of north central Florida. It seems that everyone here has a house (rancher style) in the middle of a 5-8 acre parcel of treeless land (there are trees at the edges) enclosed by a wooden fence and most people have horses. The trees are either tall scrappy loblolly pines or live oaks draped in Spanish moss the color of oxidized copper.
I picked up a load of merchandise from a Dollar General Distribution Center that is destined for another Dollar General distribution center in Scottsville, Kentucky. Lord knows why they need to move stuff between distribution centers like this.
I headed up the road and just before the Georgia Line stopped and bought some citrus fruits for christmas time. The fact that citrus ripens in the winter is a fact that makes me think that maybe the world or god or whatever is looking out for us.

Nothing exciting today, just a day where I felt excited.

No comments: